- Flavour Profiles and Nutrient Quality: Determining the roles of lipid modifying enzymes, protein-aroma active compound interactions, and protein stability in plant-based food systems. (NSERC Discovery Grant, 2021).
- Texture-modified food products: Testing and sensory evaluation of commercial and formulated protein-enriched variations. (Contribution to Organization – Industrial Research Assistance Program, 2021).
- Determining the chemical composition of Nova Scotia wild lowbush Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium) leaves and their potential application in product development. (ACOA & Bee Cee Farms, 2020).
- Characterizing the physiochemical and morphological properties of bio-based films developed from plant-based sources. (Springboard, 2019).
- Food Chemistry research platform for investigating aroma-active compound interactions in plant-based proteins. (Canada Foundation for Innovation, 2019).
- Improving wine quality through mixed and sequential fermentations with indigenous yeasts. (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada & CGCN, 2018-present).
- To investigate the use of lactic acid fermentation as a strategy to improve the levels of volatile compounds associated with off-flavours in Nova Scotian beans. (UCR, 2017-2020).
- Nutritional composition of pastured eggs. NRC, Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP, 2015-2016).
- Investigating novel peptides for functional food applications. (Start-up grant, 2014-2019).
- Viana, L. and English, M. (2021). Recent advances in the analytical study of off-flavour compounds in pulses, and pulse by-products. LWT Food Science and Technology. https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1dH~D5O41ZN6K
- English, MM. (2021). The chemical composition of free-range and conventionally-farmed eggs available to Canadians in rural Nova Scotia. PeerJ 9:e11357 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.11357
- Jamieson, J., Viana, L., & English, M. M. (2020). Folate content and chemical composition of commercially available gluten-free flour alternatives. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. doi.org/10.1007/s11130-020-00833-z
- English, M., Scrosati, P., Anthony, McSweeney, M., Gulam Razul, M. (2020).Novel carbohydrate blend enhances chemical and sensory properties of lobster (Homarus americanus) after one-year frozen storage. Food Research International, 137, 109697. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2020.109697
- English, M., Viana, L., Jordan, M., & Forney, C. (2019). Characterizing the impact of soaking and germination on Yellow-eyed bean flour. Journal of Food & Nutritional Sciences. 1 (3): 139-148. doi.org/10.1057/jfns000018
- English, M., Paulson, A., Florek, O., Clifton, L., Arnold, T., Green, R., & Frazier, R. (2019). The effects of native and modified clupeine on Gram-negative model membranes. Food Structure, 22, 100127; 1-9. doi.org/10.1016/j.foostr.2019.100127
- English, M., *Keough, M., McSweeney, M., & M. S., Razul. (2019). Impact of a novel cryoprotectant blend on the quality of frozen lobster (Homarus americanus). (*Student author). Journal of Food Science: Sensory and Consumer Science. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2020.109697
- English, M., *Viana, L., and McSweeney, M. (2019). Effect of soaking on the functional properties of Yellow-eyed bean flour and the acceptability of chocolate brownies. (*Student author). Journal of Food Science, 83, 623-628. doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.14485
- English, M. M., Coulson, T. J. D., Horseman, S. R. & Patten, C. (2010). Overexpression of hns in the plant growth-promoting bacterium Enterobacter cloacae UW5 increases root colonization. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 108, 2180-2190. doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04620.x
- English, M. (2019). Industrialized Food Systems: What We Have – A look at food production, full cost accounting and consumer demand for protein in diets. In: K. Kevany (Editor), Succulent Sustainability: Shaping Food Systems through Plant-based Diets (pp.) Oxfordshire, UK: Taylor & Francis.
- Burrell, H*., English, M., & Cohen A. (2019). Investigating antihypertensive, Angiotensin-I Converting Enzyme (ACE)-inhibitory activity of soldier bean protein hydrolysates. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 80, 159-160.
- Coming soon!
- Kevany, K., English, M., Viana, L. (2021). Are Canadians adopting the new Canada’s Food Guide and adding plant-based foods? Nutrition and Health.
- English, M., Truelstrup-Hansen, L., & Paulson, L. (2021). Escherichia coli K-12 and S. enterica Typhimurium 14028 responses to the presence of a native and modified cationic antimicrobial peptide. Journal of Applied Microbiology.
- English, M., and Fenlon, C. (2021). Characterizing the physio-chemical and morphological properties of bio-based films developed from plant-based sources. Food Packaging and Shelf-life.