- Protein enriched texture modified foods: Formulation and physical and sensory characterization. (University Council on Research, UCR, 2021-2023).
- Characterizing the key aroma-active compounds and non-volatile compounds in raw and processed salmon (Salmo salar) and salmon alternative products. Mitacs Accelerate & New School Foods Inc., 2021)
- Our Team application (Dr. Marcia English, Dr. Ruth Harvie, Dr Jen Jamieson & Dr Shah Razul) to the James Chair Equipment grant towards the purchase of a Texture Analyzer has been successful. (2021)
- Evaluating the impact of cooking times and the type of oil on the volatile and nonvolatile components of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) using gas chromatography-olfactometry mass spectrometry. (Industrial Research Assistance Program, IRAP & New School Foods Inc., 2021)
- Texture-modified food products: Testing and sensory evaluation of commercial and formulated protein-enriched variations. Co-Applicant, Dr. Ruth Harive. (Industrial Research Assistance Program, IRAP & Galloping Cows, 2021)
- Flavour Profiles and Nutrient Quality: Determining the roles of lipid modifying enzymes, protein-aroma active compound interactions, and protein stability in plant-based food systems. (NSERC Discovery Grant, 2021).
- Texture-modified food products: Testing and sensory evaluation of commercial and formulated protein-enriched variations. (Contribution to Organization – Industrial Research Assistance Program, 2021).
- Determining the chemical composition of Nova Scotia wild lowbush Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium) leaves and their potential application in product development. (ACOA & Bee Cee Farms, 2020).
- Characterizing the physiochemical and morphological properties of bio-based films developed from plant-based sources. (Springboard, 2019).
- Food Chemistry research platform for investigating aroma-active compound interactions in plant-based proteins. (Canada Foundation for Innovation, 2019).
- Improving wine quality through mixed and sequential fermentations with indigenous yeasts. (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada & CGCN, 2018-present).
- To investigate the use of lactic acid fermentation as a strategy to improve the levels of volatile compounds associated with off-flavours in Nova Scotian beans. (UCR, 2017-2020).
- Nutritional composition of pastured eggs. NRC, Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP, 2015-2016).
- Investigating novel peptides for functional food applications. (Start-up grant, 2014-2019).
- Jamieson JA, Gill K, Fisher S, English M. Development of a Canadian Food Composition Database of Gluten-Free Products. Foods. 2022; 11(15):2215. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods11152215
- *Viana, L. and English, M. (2022). The impact of dehulling and germination on the physiochemical and functional properties of yellow-eyed bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) protein isolates. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. (2022). https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2022.855788
- Kevany, K., English, M., *Viana, L., *Stephens, K. (2022). Drivers and Deterrents of Canadians adopting Canada’s new Food Guide and using plant-based foods. Journal of Food & Nutrition Sciences, 4, 32-49. doc: https://doi.org/10.1057/jfns000034
- *Viana, L. and English, M. (2021). The application of chromatography in the study of off-flavour compounds in pulses, and pulse by-products. LWT Food Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2021.111981
- English, MM. (2021). The chemical composition of free-range and conventionally-farmed eggs available to Canadians in rural Nova Scotia. PeerJ 9:e11357 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.11357
- Jamieson, J., *Viana, L., & English, M. M. (2020). Folate content and chemical composition of commercially available gluten-free flour alternatives. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. doi.org/10.1007/s11130-020-00833-z
- English, M., Scrosati, P., Anthony, McSweeney, M., Gulam Razul, M. (2020).Novel carbohydrate blend enhances chemical and sensory properties of lobster (Homarus americanus) after one-year frozen storage. Food Research International, 137, 109697. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2020.109697
- English, M., *Viana, L., Jordan, M., & Forney, C. (2019). Characterizing the impact of soaking and germination on Yellow-eyed bean flour. Journal of Food & Nutritional Sciences. 1 (3): 139-148. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/jfns000018
- English, M., Paulson, A., Florek, O., Clifton, L., Arnold, T., Green, R., & Frazier, R. (2019). The effects of native and modified clupeine on Gram-negative model membranes. Food Structure, 22, 100127; 1-9. doi.org/10.1016/j.foostr.2019.100127
- English, M., *Keough, M., McSweeney, M., & M. S., Razul. (2019). Impact of a novel cryoprotectant blend on the quality of frozen lobster (Homarus americanus). (*Student author). Journal of Food Science: Sensory and Consumer Science. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2020.109697
- English, M., *Viana, L., and McSweeney, M. (2019). Effect of soaking on the functional properties of Yellow-eyed bean flour and the acceptability of chocolate brownies. (*Student author). Journal of Food Science, 83, 623-628. doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.14485
- English, M. M., Coulson, T. J. D., Horseman, S. R. & Patten, C. (2010). Overexpression of hns in the plant growth-promoting bacterium Enterobacter cloacae UW5 increases root colonization. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 108, 2180-2190. doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04620.x
Publications: Non peer-reviewed
- English, M. (2022). Canadian Food Business. Communicating health claims for functional foods: https://canadianfoodbusiness.com/2022/02/11/communicating-health-claims-for-functional-foods/
- Ofori, K., *Antoniello, S., English, M., and Aryee, A. (2022). Improving nutrition through biofortification – A systematic review. PREPRINT (Version 1) available at Research Square [https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-2031143/v1]
- English, M. (2019). Industrialized Food Systems: What We Have – A look at food production, full cost accounting and consumer demand for protein in diets. In: K. Kevany (Editor), Succulent Sustainability: Shaping Food Systems through Plant-based Diets (pp.) Oxfordshire, UK: Taylor & Francis.
- *Burrell, H., English, M., & Cohen A. (2019). Investigating antihypertensive, Angiotensin-I Converting Enzyme (ACE)-inhibitory activity of soldier bean protein hydrolysates. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 80, 159-160.
- Marcia English, Ogadimma Okagu, *Alex Goertzen, *Kristen Stephens, and Chibuike Udenigwe. (2022). Encapsulation for improving the flavour of foods: A review of techniques, impact of food matrix and flavour chemistry, and analytical and sensory characterization. Frontiers in Nutrition.
- Bunbury-Blanchette, A., Fan, L., English, M., & Kernaghan, G. (2022). Vineyard yeast communities before and after spontaneous fermentation: a case study from Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Microbiology.
- *Viana, L., Jordan, M., Forney, C., and English, M. (2022). Impact of dehulling and germination of yellow-eye beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) and the flavour profiles pre-treated flours and the consumer acceptability of gluten-free cookies. Foods.
- Marzieh Baneshi, Alberta N.A. Aryee, Marcia English, and Martin Mkandawire. (2022). Designing Plant-Based Smart Food Packaging Solutions for Prolonging Consumable Life of Perishable Foods. Applied Food Research. Special Issue: Novel Processing and Packaging Strategies for Increasing the Sustainability of the Food Supply Chain.
- *Brighid McKay, Abigail, Alberta Ayree, Marcia English. (2022). Protein-based nano-delivery systems for functional foods: a review. PeerJ.
- English, M., Truelstrup-Hansen, L., and Paulson, A. (2022). Escherichia coli K-12 and S. enterica Typhimurium 14028 responses to the presence of a native and modified cationic antimicrobial peptide. Journal of Applied Microbiology.
- English, M., and *Fenlon, C. (2022). Characterizing the physio-chemical and morphological properties of bio-based films developed from plant-based sources. Food Packaging and Shelf-life.